Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a powerful psychological treatment that has been used effectively for over 20 years in a variety of international settings and cultures with many different types of psychological distress.
Scientific research has established EMDR as effective for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Art of Counseling, pllc uses EMDR as a treatment component in the management of:
- Panic attacks
- Complicated grief
- Pain disorders
- Eating disorders
- Sexual or Physical abuse
- Performance anxiety
- Stress reduction
- Disturbing memories
As an expressive medium, art can be used to help clients communicate, overcome stress, and explore different aspects of their own personalities. In psychology, the use of artistic methods to treat psychological disorders and enhance mental health is known as art therapy.
Art therapy integrates psychotherapeutic techniques with the creative process to improve mental health and well-being. The American Art Therapy Association describes art therapy as “a mental health profession that uses the creative process of art making to improve and enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of individuals of all ages. It is based on the belief that the creative process involved in artistic self-expression helps people to resolve conflicts and problems, develop interpersonal skills, manage behavior, reduce stress, increase self-esteem and self-awareness, and achieve insight.”
Art therapy is helpful in the following areas:
- Complex grief
- Perfectionism – accepting imperfectionism
- Practicing creative problem solving
- Increasing higher quality family and/or couple communication
- When talk therapy is not enough or in is hard to find the words
- Appropriate for all ages
Combination of EMDR with Art Therapy
Using a distinctive combination of art therapy with EMDR, an extremely effective form of psychotherapy supported by rigorous research. Together art therapy with EMDR helps improve self-esteem/confidence, building a stronger emotional foundation and mental health resilience to life’s stressors. Effective treating anxiety, depression, stress and trauma in adults and children.
Here are some common issues that people come to Art of Counseling, pllc for help with:
- stress and anxiety stemming from work/life imbalance, life transitions (job change, moves, births, marriage, divorce, etc.), grief/loss, troubled relationships, low self-esteem, phobias.
- traumatic stress due to being involved in an accident, traumatic hospitalization/medical procedures, abuse, rape, being victim to a crime.
- depression from the lack self-worth, overwhelming feelings of guilt and a decrease in the pleasures in life.